Enjoying an afternoon at a local dog park is a great way for you to bond with your four-legged friend.
You can both enjoy fresh air and sunshine as well as the company of other humans and canines.
Dog parks are fun and oftentimes free social spots for dogs of all sizes and feature lots of amenities to make them an ideal destination for an afternoon of fun.
Check out these great dog parks in the Houston area for you and your pooch to enjoy together.
1. Congressman Bill Archer Park
This West Houston Dog Park has it all- bone-shaped ponds, agility courses, restrooms, wash areas, walking trails and more. Dogs will love playing off-leash at this large park with separate, fenced areas for big and small dogs.
- 3201 State Highway 6 North, Houston, Texas 77084
- Featuring separate areas for large and small dogs, this 17-acre dog park is Houston’s largest. Big dogs will enjoy 14 acres of room to roam while smaller dogs will enjoy 3 acres all to themselves.
- Open 7 days a week from 7 am until dusk.
2. Alexander Deussen Dog Park
Located in northeast Houston, this park on Lake Houston has separate areas for large and small dogs to play. This park has plenty of shade for you as well as lots of grassy, open areas for dogs to roam and play off leash.
- 12303 Sonnier Street, Houston, Texas 77044
- Six and a half acres of fun await your pup at this Houston dog park. Featuring agility equipment for your pup and restrooms for you, this park will keep you both happy for hours.
- Summer hours (March- October) 6am- 9pm 7 days a week; Winter hours (November- February) 6am- 7pm 7 days a week.
3. Millie Bush Bark Park
Let your pup roam and play while you relax in the shade at this dog park in West Houston. After Fido is done playing, wash him off the park wash stations so he doesn’t leave muddy footprints in your car.
- 16101 Westheimer Parkway, Houston, Texas 77082
- Small and large dogs can cool off and play in the ponds located within this West Houston dog park. The park itself is just more than eight acres of off-leash fun for dogs of all sizes and features plenty of shade as well as benches.
- Open 7 days a week from 7am- dusk.
4. Tom Bass Regional Park & Dog Park
Named after a local US Army Reserve Officer and state representative, Tom Bass Dog Park is a great family-friendly destination for humans and their canine companions. Dog showers, poop bags and water stations are readily available.
- 3452 Fellows Rd., Houston, Texas 77047
- Your dog will enjoy this dog park, which features almost three acres of off-leash space for your small pup and nearly seven acres of area for your large pup. After you and your pup play at the dog park, wander over to the nearby areas of the park that include a disc golf course, gazebo and more for an afternoon of fun.
- Open from 7am- 9pm 7 days a week.
5. Danny Jackson Family Dog Park
Only a 15-minute drive from downtown Houston, the Danny Jackson Family Dog Park is long and rectangular in shape and features a path down the middle for you and your pup to take a walk. Parking is next to the dog park and free of charge.
- 4828 1/2 Loop Central Dr., Houston, Texas 77081
- Just shy of three acres of off-leash space await you and your pooch at this Houston dog park. Large and small dogs are separated at this park but each area has a small dog lake, dog wash station and more.
- Open 5am- 10pm 7 days a week.
6. Discovery Green Dog Run
Discovery Green Dog Run is an ideal destination for fun-seeking Houstonians and their human companions. Located in downtown Houston, this spot is fun for dogs big and small.
- 1500 McKinney St. Houston, TX 77010
- Featuring crushed gravel, water fountains and shaded seating, this popular dog park has a 45-minute time limit for all dogs because it gets so busy. There are separate areas for small and large dogs.
- Open from 6am- 11pm 7 days a week.
7. Maxey Bark & Run Dog Park
The second dog park to crop up in the City of Houston, Maxey Dog Park is a fun spot with lots of space for your dog to expend some energy. But humans beware! There are no on-site bathrooms at this puppy play area.
- 601 Maxey Road, Houston, Texas 77013
- Twelve acres of shaded, off-leash fun await dogs of all sizes at this East Houston dog park. Dedicated in 2004, this dog park has separate areas for large and small dogs as well as a doggie shower and waste disposal stations.
- Open sunrise to sunset seven days a week.
8. Ervan Chew Dog Park
Entertain the kids and dogs at the same time when you pay a visit to Ervan Chew Dog Park. The adjacent spray ground will help the kids run off some energy and the dog run will let Fido do the same.
- 4502 Dunlavy, Houston, Texas 77006
- Approximately 9,000 square feet in size, this dog park, dedicated in May of 2004, was the first off-leash dog park in Houston. It is located near a spray ground and picnic area.
- Open 6am- 9pm 7 days a week.
9. Nassau Bay Dog Park
Providing a fenced-in area for people and pooches to play and socialize, Nassau Bay Dog Park, on Houston’s southeast side, is a peaceful spot to spend an afternoon. This park is on the smaller side, but it does provide a nice, grassy, off-leash area for your pooch to play.
- 18900 Upper Bay Rd, Houston, Texas 77058
- Gaze out at Lake Nassau as your pup plays in the designated off-leash area at this park. Ther are separate fenced areas for large and small dogs.
- Open 7am- 11pm 7 days a week.
10. TC Jester Dog Park
This Northwest Houston dog park offers separate spaces for small and large dogs and lots of fun for everyone who steps inside the fenced-in area. This park has welcomed dogs into its acreage since 2009.
- 4201 West T.C. Jester Blvd, Houston, Texas 77018
- Just over an acre of land awaits you and Fido on your dog-park adventure. Drinking fountains and shaded seating areas are available at this park.
- Open 6am- 8pm 7 days a week
11. Johnny Steele Dog Park
Johnny Steele Dog Park is one of the most popular areas inside of Buffalo Bayou Park. This dog park’s features include a dog pond, shade structures, dog washes and more.
- 2929 Allen Pkwy, Houston, Texas 77019
- Located in the heart of Houston, this dog park has two-acres of grass and gravel for your pup to explore. Drinking fountains and seating areas are readily available for dogs and humans.
- Open daily from 7am- 8pm
Wrapping up the 11 Best Houston-Area Dog Parks
Houston, Texas is home to a number of dog parks that cater to pups of all sizes.
Whether your pup wants to test the agility equipment or cool off in a dog pond, your dog is sure to go home happy after a long day of running and playing at one of these great parks.
If you’re interested in an artificial grass installation in Texas or Oklahoma, contact Ideal Turf today.
Author: Tim Taylor
- Types of Infill Materials Used on Artificial Turf: Which Infills Are Best for Children & Pets?
- The Top 10 Best Artificial Turf Backyard Putting Green Installers in & Around Oklahoma City, OK
- Texas Water Crisis: How Does Artificial Turf Conserve Water During Droughts & Water Shortages?
- The Top 10 Best Artificial Turf Backyard Putting Green Installers in & Around San Antonio, TX
- Sports Turf FAQs: The Most Common Artificial Turf Sports Field Questions & Answers