If you’ve never been to Dallas, chances are you think the Big D is all about cowboys (both the football players and the guys in hats and boots) and country music.
The truth is, though, that Dallas is a booming metropolis in north Texas that offers an affordable cost of living to residents as well as an endless array of fun activities for families and kids of all ages.
Dallas, TX is a city with more than one million residents, is home to four major sports teams, multiple acclaimed universities and more fun than you can pack into a Texas-sized weekend.
Head to the Big D for scores of entertaining family-friendly things to do for kids large and small.
Because, truly, everything is bigger in Texas!
1. Dallas Zoo
Founded in 1888, the Dallas Zoo is home to more than 2,000 animals and 400 different species. Guests will enjoy interacting with animals as they explore the zoo. Children will enjoy the kids’ area as well as the train and carousel within the zoo. Pack and a lunch and make a day of learning about all the exciting animals that await you at the AZA-accredited Dallas Zoo!
- 650 S. R. L. Thornton Freeway, Dallas, TX 75203
- Open 9 am to 4 pm daily, October through February. Open 9 am to 5 pm daily March through September. Closed Christmas day.
- $21 for adults, $16 for kids and seniors. Ages two and younger are free. Parking is $10 per vehicle.
- (469) 554-7500
2. Dallas World Aquarium
Spend a day at the Dallas World Aquarium and you will truly be submerged in animal and marine life. Accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), the Dallas World Aquarium has scores of animals that will delight and fascinate. From sloths to flamingoes, be prepared to enjoy a day learning about mammals.
- 1801 North Griffin St., Dallas, TX 75202
- Open Monday through Friday from 9:30 am until 5 pm; open Saturday and Sunday from 8:30 am until 5:30 pm.
- $26.95 for adults, $22.95 for seniors, $18.95 for kids, ages 2 and younger are free. Parking may cost.
- (214) 720-2224
3. Kidzania USA-Frisco
This zany spot isn’t called a “kid city” for nothing! At KidZania, kids rule! They are the masters of their own tiny universe, where they can do everything from bake pizzas and fight fires to put together a news broadcast and learn about dentistry. Caregivers can help kids navigate the experience- or wait in the quiet parent room and enjoy some time to themselves.
- 2601 Preston Road, Suite 3011, Frisco, TX 75034
- Open Friday 2- 8pm and Saturday and Sunday 12- 7 pm. Closed Monday- Thursday.
- Adults 15+ are $15.95, kids 6-13 are $42.95, kids 4-5 are $14.95 and kids 3 and younger are free. Some activities may have an additional cost.
- (214) 618-0248
4. Dallas Arboretum & Botanical Garden
Stroll through fields of green adjacent to Dallas’ White Rock Lake as you behold the gorgeous flowers that blossom and grow at the Dallas Arboretum. The gardens were opened to the public in 1984 on land the City of Dallas purchased from Southern Methodist University. Today, the grounds are a popular spot for photography sessions as well as weddings and are a gorgeous place to connect with nature all year round.
- 8525 Garland Road, Dallas, Texas 75218
- Open daily from 9 am- 5 pm.
- Adults are $17, seniors are $14, kids are $12 and kids younger than 2 are free. There is an additional cost for the children’s garden as well as parking.
- (214) 515-6615
5. Epic Waters Indoor Water Park
Rain or shine, it’s always pool weather at Epic Waters Indoor Water Park! The largest indoor water park in North Texas, Epic Waters provides hours of fun to kids of all ages. Race down water slides, kick back in the lazy river, play and splash in the kids’ area and more. Be prepared to have a splashing good time at this Grand Prairie hotspot.
- 2970 Epic Place, Grand Prairie, Texas 75052
- Hours vary so be sure and check the website before you go. Generally, Epic Waters is open Friday- Monday during the school year and daily during the summertime.
- $34-$44 for guests taller than 48” and $29-$39 for guests shorter than 48”.
6. Dreamscape Immersive
Experience virtual reality at this completely immersive experience for guests ages 10 and older at Northpark Center in Dallas. You get to choose your adventure for a one-of-a-kind experience. Will you swim deep in the ocean with dolphins and sharks or travel back in time to the prehistoric age when dinosaurs roamed the earth? The choice is yours!
- Located at Northpark Center: 8687 North Central Expressway, Suite #2232, Dallas, TX 75225
- Open Monday – Wednesday 9:30am – 9pm, Thursday 9:30am – 10pm, Friday – Saturday 9:30am – 11pm and Sunday 9:30am – 9pm.
- Tickets are $19.99 on weekdays and $23.99 on weekends. Guests must be age 10 or older.
- (800) 899-0473
7. National Videogame Museum
Head to suburban north Dallas to visit the nation’s first museum dedicated solely to video games! Rediscover classics and learn about the rich history of the video game industry at this engaging museum. You’ll play while you learn at this interactive museum in Frisco.
- 8004 North Dallas Parkway, Frisco, TX 75034
- Open Tuesday- Friday from 10 am- 5 pm, Saturday from 10 am- 6 pm and Sunday from 12- 5 pm. Closed Mondays.
- $12 for adults, $10 for kids younger than 10 as well as seniors, ages 3 and younger are free.
- (972) 668.8400
8. Perot Museum of Nature & Science
Fun awaits at this museum of science and history in downtown Dallas. Learn about dinosaurs, play and explore in the children’s museum, discover gems and minerals and so much more. This museum provides hours of thoughtful interaction and is great, educational fun for all ages.
- 2201 N. Field Street, Dallas, TX 75201
- Open Monday 10 am- 5pm, closed Tuesday. Open Wednesday- Saturday 10 am- 5 pm and Sunday 11 am- 5 pm.
- Adults are $20, seniors are $18, kids are $13. Some exhibits may cost extra. Parking may cost.
- (214) 428-5555
9. Reunion Tower
Get a look at Dallas from high above! The GeO Deck at Reunion Towers allows guests onto an open-air viewing platform for unparalleled views of Dallas at the surrounding area. Interactive displays within Reunion Tower enable you to learn more about the city’s rich history from 470 feet in the air.
- 300 Reunion Blvd East, Dallas, TX 75207
- Check the website before you visit as hours vary, but Reunion Tower is typically open from 1:30- 7:30 or 8:30 pm everyday.
- Adult tickets start at $19, seniors start at $14 and kids tickets start at $9. Kids 3 and younger are free.
- (214) 712-7040
10. Crayola Experience
Kids will love to get colorful at the Crayola Experience in Plano, TX. Kids can name their own crayons, learn about how crayons are made, create spin art, coloring sheets and so much more. There is a climbing structure and cafe on-site as well as plenty of space for parents to sit down and relax a while.
- 6121 W Park Blvd Suite A100, Plano, TX 75093
- Open Wednesday- Monday, 10 am – 4 pm. Closed Tuesday.
- Tickets are cheaper if you buy in advance online. $23.99 online or $26.99 at the door. Kids 3 and younger are free.
- (469) 642-2901
Wrapping up the Top 10 Family-Friendly Things to do in Dallas, TX
Dallas offers a wide variety of family-friendly fun for visitors and locals alike.
From indoor adventures to outdoor strolls, Dallas has activities that suit a plethora of tastes and budgets.
Whether you are just visiting for the weekend or planning to stay for a lifetime, you will find Dallas has no shortage of fun for all ages.
Because Dallas has warmer weather for most of the year than many northern cities, Dallasites are fortunate enough to be able to spend a lot of time outdoors enjoying the green grass and warm weather.
If you’d like to enjoy a lush, green, natural-looking lawn year-round without any of the maintenance that natural grass requires, you should consider installing artificial grass.
For information on how to make your lawn green to enjoy year-round in Texas, speak to one of our professional turf consultants.
Author: Tim Taylor
- The Top 10 Best Golf Courses to Tee Off at in & Around Houston, TX
- Playground Ground Cover Materials: The Best Ground Cover Options for Children’s Play Areas
- The Top 10 Best Golf Courses to Tee Off at in & Around Fort Worth, TX
- Dog Run Cleaning & Maintenance: A Complete Pet Turf Cleaning Guide
- The Top 10 Best Golf Courses to Tee Off at in & Around Dallas, TX