When most people think about Austin, they might think about live music or the University of Texas.
They may envision a wild night on Sixth Street and envision the slogan “Keep Austin Weird” slung across t-shirts and souvenirs.
They might picture the urban city in central Texas that is quickly becoming a tech hub as a version of West Coast city with southern flair.
They may even imagine a visit to Texas’s capital as a lesson in government in politics.
What most people don’t know, though, is that Austin is a very family-friendly city perfect for a vacation or getaway.
From swimming holes to science museums, Austin, Texas, offers a variety of entertainment and excitement for kids of all ages.
If a visit to the Lone Star State’s capital is in your future, check out these fun things during your Austin adventure.
1. Inner Space Cavern
Opened to the public in 1966, Inner Space Cavern was hidden for more than 10,000 years before its discovery in 1966. The cave is a constant 72 degrees and doesn’t flood during rain. During your visit, you can see prehistoric animal bones and more. Don’t skip the all-new Saber Tooth Zip Line during your visit- your kids will love it!
- 4200 S I-35 Frontage Rd, Georgetown, TX 78626
- Memorial Day through Labor Day, Inner Space Cabin is open daily from 9 am- 5 pm. Hours of operation may be slightly shorter in the colder months.
- 512-931-2283 or email@example.com
2. Texas Toy Museum
Take a trip down memory lane when you visit the Texas Toy Museum in Austin. View toys that are more than 100 years old, play old-school arcade games for free and much more.
- 314 1/2 Congress Avenue Austin, TX 78701
- Open Sunday- Thursday from 12-9 pm; Friday & Saturday 12 pm- 12 am. Closed Thursdays.
3. McKinney Falls State Park
Head out to McKinney Fall State Park in Austin to connect with nature. There, you can bike, hike, geocache, picnic and so much more. Explore an early rock shelter and investigate the remains of an early Texas homestead. At McKinney Falls State Park, adventure awaits!
- 5808 McKinney Falls Parkway, Austin, TX 78744
- Open daily 8 am- 10 pm
- (512) 243-1643 or McKinneyFallsSP@tpwd.texas.gov
4. Austin Zoo
Get up close and personal with animals of all shapes and sizes at the Austin Zoo. Engage with a Capybara or Galapagos Tortoise with these animal encounter experiences. Take a ride on the zoo train during your visit. Plan to spend a day at this fun zoo because there is simply so much to see and do.
- 10808 Rawhide Trail, Austin, TX, 78736
- Open 9:30 am- 5 pm Monday through Thursday and 9:30 am- 6 pm Friday through Sunday. Hours vary in the colder months.
- (512) 288-1490
5. Altitude Trampoline Park – South Austin
The park features 10 high-energy attractions including performance trampolines, a trapeze bar, a rock climbing wall, and much more entertainment for families, groups, and individuals. Every guest that is staying in the building must have a valid waiver on file. Jumpers and non-jumpers. Waivers can ONLY be filled out by an adult 18 years or older. Click Here to Fill Out an Online Waiver.
- 6800 West Gate Blvd, Suite 120 Austin TX 78745
- Opening Hours
- Monday – Tuesday 10 am – 8 pm
- Wednesday 10 am – 9 pm
- Thursday 10 am – 6 pm
- Friday – Saturday 10 am – 10 pm
- Sunday 1 pm – 8 pm
- 512-814-0090 or Info@Altitudeaustin.com
6. Zilker Park
Zilker Park offers so many amenities it will be hard to figure out what to do first! Jump and climb on the playground or play a round of disc golf. Go for a dip in the Barton Springs Pool or take a stroll through the Zilker Botanical Garden. This gorgeous Austin park features plenty of activities for guests of all ages.
- 2100 Barton Springs Rd., Austin, TX 78704
- Open daily from 5 am until 10 pm
7. Austin Nature & Science Center
Hands-on family fun awaits at this interactive science center located at the western edge of Zilker Park in Austin. During your visit to the science center you can see a bobcat, explore sundials, learn about prehistoric animals that used to roam Texas and much more.
- 2389 Stratford Drive, Austin, TX 78746
- Open Monday through Saturday from 9:00 am until 5:00 pm and Sunday from 12:00 until 5:00 pm.
8. Jourdan-Bachman Pioneer Farms
Journey back in time and examine what life might have been like for the Texas settlers of yesteryear. There is even a barn onsite that allows you to interact with animals. This central Texas attraction will allow you to learn about history in a fun, interactive way.
- 10621 Pioneer Farms Drive, Austin, TX 78754
- Open from 10 am until 5 pm Thursday through Sunday.
- 512-837-1215 or firstname.lastname@example.org
9. Thinkery Austin
You don’t have to be a kid to enjoy the hands-on fun available at Thinkery Austin. This museum offers visitors 40,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor activities that will provide hours of family fun.
- 1830 Simond Ave, Austin, TX 78723
- Open Tuesday through Thursday from 9 am until 3 pm, Friday from 9 am until 5 pm, Saturday from 10 am until 5 pm and Sunday from 10 am until 3 pm.
- 512-469-6200 or email@example.com
10. The Bullock Texas State History Museum
Texas history is rich and interesting, and this Austin museum brings it to life for visitors in a fascinating and interactive way. The museum also boasts an IMAX theater as well as a gift shop and on-site cafe for visitors’ enjoyment.
- 1800 Congress Ave., Austin, TX 78701
- Open Wednesday through Sunday from 10 am until 5 pm.
- 512-936-4629 or ContactUs@TheStoryofTexas.com
Wrapping up the Top 10 Family-Friendly Things to do in Austin, TX
Austin is a city rich in history and culture that is the perfect family-friendly getaway in Texas Hill Country.
From breath-taking greenery to thought-provoking museums, Austin has a lot to offer visitors from the US and beyond.
If you love the gorgeous green parks that are scattered throughout the Texas Hill Country, consider installing artificial grass in your yard for an evergreen, elegant look right outside your front door.
If you’re interested in an artificial grass installation in Texas or Oklahoma, please contact Ideal Turf today to get your FREE Artificial Grass Design & Installation Estimate by clicking “GET A QUOTE” button, or give us a call at 800-204-4650.
Author: Tim Taylor
- The Top 10 Best Golf Courses to Tee Off at in & Around Houston, TX
- Playground Ground Cover Materials: The Best Ground Cover Options for Children’s Play Areas
- The Top 10 Best Golf Courses to Tee Off at in & Around Fort Worth, TX
- Dog Run Cleaning & Maintenance: A Complete Pet Turf Cleaning Guide
- The Top 10 Best Golf Courses to Tee Off at in & Around Dallas, TX