Often referred to by locals as Cowtown, Fort Worth is an often-overlooked city in North Texas that offers big fun families.
Fort Worth is a city steeped in cowboy culture, and much of the entertainment you’ll find in Dallas’ neighbor offers a western flair.
Whether you want to catch a cattle drive in the Stockyards for some country-western family fun or check out one of the many fun museums in the area, Cowtown is not lacking in the family-friendly entertainment department!
So grab your cowboy boots, saddle up the kids, and head to Fort Worth for a plethora of activities that offer good old-fashioned family fun in the DFW area.
1. Fort Worth Zoo
Enjoy a day getting up close with lions and tigers and bears, oh my! The Fort Worth Zoo is home to more than 500 species of animals and offers a number of interactive exhibits so your children can learn as they play. If you are visiting during warmer months, pack a bathing suit and let the kids cool off at Safari Splash, a water play area (additional fee required).
- 1989 Colonial Parkway · Fort Worth, Texas 76110
- Open weekdays 10 am- 5 pm and weekends 10 am- 6pm.
- Adults are $18, kids 3-12 are $14 as are seniors 65+. Parking is $5 per vehicle.
2. Fort Worth Botanical Gardens
Discover 120 acres of gorgeous natural scenery in the heart of Fort Worth at the Fort Worth Botanical Gardens. Let nature captivate you as you stroll through Japanese gardens, sculpted hillsides, elegant fields of flowers and much more at this nature retreat.
- 3220 Botanic Garden Blvd., Fort Worth, Texas 76107
- Open 7 days a week from 8 am until 5 pm.
- Adults are $12, kids are $6, seniors are $10 and kids younger than 5 are free.
- (817) 463-4160 or firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Fort Worth Stockyards
Experience true cowboy culture with a visit to the famous Fort Worth Stockyards. Shop at local stores, grab a bite at one of the many restaurants, catch a daily cattle drive and much more. Experience the what makes Fort Worth a city like no other with a trip to the Stockyards!
- 140 E. Exchange Ave., Fort Worth, Texas, 76164
- You can wander the stockyards all day every day. Area businesses have different hours of operation that should be posted on their establishments.
- The daily cattle drive is free. Different activities have varying price points.
- 1-800-433-5747 (Fort Worth Visitor’s Center)
4. Kimbell Art Museum
Celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2022, the Kimbell Art Museum is home to more than 300 stunning works of art from a variety of talented artists, painters and sculptors. The collection of works inside the iconic Fort Worth building come from around the world and span several centuries.
- 3333 Camp Bowie Blvd., Fort Worth, Texas, 76107
- Open Tuesday- Thursday from 10 am- 5 pm. Friday 12- 8pm; Saturday 10 am- 5 pm; Sunday 12- 5 pm. Closed Monday.
- It is free to visit this museum however some exhibits may have a cost.
5. Fort Worth Museum of Science & History
This fun Fort Worth museum offers a variety of hands-on activities for guests of all ages. Kids will enjoy the childrens’ museum, which is geared toward kids ages 8 and younger. Everyone will enjoy the Cattle Raisers Museum, which offers a glimpse into the world of livestock. Be on the lookout for exciting traveling exhibits to stop at the museum throughout the year.
- 1600 Gendy St., Fort Worth, Texas, 76107
- Open Wednesday- Saturday from 10 am- 5 pm and Sunday from 12- 5 pm. The museum is closed on Monday and Tuesday.
- Adults are $16, seniors are $14 and kids are $12. Kids younger than 2 are free.
6. Epic Waters Indoor Water Park
No matter the temperature outside, it’s always swimsuit season at Epic Waters Indoor Water Park! Located in Grand Prairie, Epic Waters is the place to go to get wet and have a good time. Try out one of the fast slides or relax in the lazy river. There is something for everyone at this indoor water park.
- 2970 Epic Place, Grand Prairie, Texas, 75052
- Hours and opening days vary. Check the website for further details.
- Admission costs vary but start at $29 for under 48” and $34 for over 48”.
- 972.337.3131 or email@example.com
7. Sundance Square
Sundance Square is a charming area in Fort Worth where visitors can stroll and shop, stopping at unique eateries and local boutiques to experience the flavor of Cowtown. While in Sundance Square, you can catch a movie or a live performance, laugh out loud at a comedy club and so much more.
- 425 Houston St., Fort Worth, Texas, 76102
- Sundance Square itself is always open, businesses set their own open hours.
- There is no cost to walk around Sundance Square.
- 817.222.1111 or firstname.lastname@example.org
8. Rockwood Go-Karts & Golf
When weather permits, head over to Rockwood Go-Karts and Golf for some throwback fun! Challenge your friends and family to a round of mini golf and then see who can finish first on the go-kart tracks. Everything is priced a la carte so you can stay and play as long as you’d like!
- 700 N. University Dr., Fort Worth, Texas, 76114
- Open seven days a week, weather permitting. Sunday- Thursday, 12- 10pm; Friday 12- 11 pm and Saturday 9 am- 11 pm.
- Activities start at $7 per person.
- fun@RockwoodGoKarts.com or 817.626.1913
9. Six Flags Over Texas
Thrill-seekers of all ages will love all the exciting rides and rollercoasters at Six Flags Over Texas. Try out Spinsanity featuring Harley Quinn or The Joker if you dare! Little ones will love BoomTown play area featuring Looney Tunes characters such as Bugs Bunny and Yosemite Sam.
- 2201 Road to Six Flags, Arlington, Texas, 76011
- Hours vary seasonally- check the website for details
- Tickets start at $34.99 for a one-day admission.
- (817) 640-8900
10. Bureau of Engraving and Printing
See how money is made by the US Government right in the heart of Fort Worth. Schedule a tour at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing to see the process of printing money for yourself. Great for all ages!
- 9000 Blue Mound Road, Fort Worth, Texas, 76131
- See the website for information on how to schedule a tour
- Tours are free
Wrapping Up the Top 10 Things To Do In Fort Worth, TX
Fort Worth is certainly more than simply Dallas’ next-door neighbor!
Filled to the brim with exciting destinations and experiences as well as a rich country-western flavor, Fort Worth will have you yearning for your own cowboy boots in no time!
With so many wide-open, green spaces, Fort Worth is a great mix of country and city with its own unique flair.
If you’re interested in an artificial grass installation in Texas, contact Ideal Turf today to schedule your free artificial grass design and installation estimate by clicking the “GET A QUOTE” button or feel free to give us a call at 800-204-4650.
- The Top 10 Best Golf Courses to Tee Off at in OKC
- The Top 10 Backyard Putting Green Benefits for Homeowners: Why Install an Artificial Turf Golf Green?
- The Top 10 Best Golf Courses to Tee Off at in & Around San Antonio, TX
- Pet Turf Cost: How Much Does Artificial Grass for Dogs Cost to Install?
- Pet Turf Benefits: Why Install Pet-Friendly Artificial Grass at Your Texas Home or Business?