Houston, the US’s fourth-largest city, is a booming southern Texas city located just an hour from the Gulf of Mexico.
Known for being the home of NASA (and for the famous tagline “Houston, we have a problem!”)
Houston offers up top-notch cuisine, world-class, family-friendly entertainment, and cultural identity that is both diverse and welcoming.
Kids and adults alike will have fun in this large southern city with a laidback Texas vibe.
With so many fun things to do in this south Texas metropolis, you’ll wonder where to start!
1. Space Center Houston
Embark on an experience that is truly out of the world with NASA. This Houston attraction features more than 400 activities for kids of all ages as well as the largest display of space suits and moon rocks in the world.
- 1601 NASA Parkway, Houston, TX, 77058
- Hours vary but are generally 10 am- 6 pm. Check the website for further details.
- $29.95 for adults and $24.95 for kids. 3 and younger are free.
- 281-244-2100 or email@example.com
2. Downtown Aquarium
The Down Aquarium in Houston is a fun experience for guests of all ages that offers a lot of entertainment options in one spot. Enjoy a variety of rides, dine at the upscale restaurant, engage with animals and marine life and so much more at this six-acre entertainment complex.
- 410 Bagby St @ Memorial Dr., Houston, TX 77002
- Hours vary depending on activity type; check the website for details.
- All-day adventure passes are $23.99 for adults and $21.99 for kids under 42”.
- 713-223-FISH (3474)
3. Children’s Museum of Houston
Voted the Best Children’s Activity in Houston by the Houston Chronicle in 2021, the Children’s Museum of Houston is an interactive play and learning space for kids and caregivers alike. Explore 90,000 square feet of inspiring activities and imaginative play with your children that is sure to create lasting memories.
- 1500 Binz St, Houston, TX 77004
- Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday 10 am- 6 pm. Thursday 10 am- 8 pm. Closed Sunday and Monday.
- $15 per person, kids under 1 are free.
4. Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier
Make your summer a little sunnier with a visit to Pleasure Pier! Thrill-seekers of all ages will love many rides available to guests on the pier, including the Iron Shark Roller Coaster, Pirate’s Plunge, Sea Dragon, Carousel and more. Buy a day pass and ride until you drop!
- 2501 Seawall Blvd., Galveston Island, TX 77550
- Open seasonally. Times and days vary. See the website for further details.
- All day passes are $27.99 for visitors 48” and taller and $20.99 for guests under 48”. If you don’t want to go on rides, you can purchase a walk-on pier pass for $11 ($9 for under 48”).
5. Houston Zoo
Happy 100th birthday to the Houston Zoo! The Houston Zoo celebrates 100 years in 2022, a testament to its long-standing tradition of supporting the Houston community. The zoo is home to everything from Green Anacondas to the Common Warthog and is sure to provide a day of fun activities and learning experiences for the whole family.
- 6200 Hermann Park Dr., Houston, TX 77030
- Open 9 am- 5 pm 7 days a week.
- The zoo uses flex pricing, which means the price varies. See the website for further information.
6. Houston Museum of Natural Science (HMNS)
When you plan a visit to the Houston Museum of Natural Science, you are planning an interactive, immersive experience in a five-story museum that offers hands-on learning to visitors. Study dinosaurs in the Hall of Paleontology or journey back in time in the Hall of Ancient Egypt. Be prepared to learn while you spend time with your family exploring this fabulous local museum.
- 5555 Hermann Park Dr., Houston TX 77030
- Open Monday- Sunday from 9 am until 5 pm. The Museum features Free Thursdays from 2 pm- 9 pm every week when admission is free.
- Adults are $25, kids are $16. Some activities may cost extra.
7. Houston Arboretum & Nature Center
Visiting the Houston Arboretum provides guests with an opportunity to explore and learn about nature. Guests can hike the trails at the Arboretum or learn more about animals and habitats at the Nature Center. Kids especially will love learning all about nature and all of its living creatures.
- 4501 Woodway Dr., Houston, TX 77024
- Grounds and trails are open daily from 7 am- dusk; Nature center building is open from 9 am- 4 pm daily.
- Admission is free.
- firstname.lastname@example.org or 713.681.8433
8. Schlitterbahn Galveston Island
Get ready to get wet and wild at Schlitterbahn in Galveston Island! This south Texas water park features a number of wild slides for adrenaline junkies as well as tamer waters for those who wish to relax. Spend time floating the lazy river, enjoying the wave pool or relaxing in a cabana (cabana is not included in admission and has an additional cost).
- 2109 Gene Lucas Blvd., Galveston, TX 77554
- Open daily from 11 am- 8 pm during the summer season; park operates on a reduced schedule from March until May. See the website for details.
- Day passes start at $39.99 per person.
- (409) 770-9283
9. Armand Bayou Nature Center
The Armand Bayou Nature Center located just outside Houston in Pasadena, TX, will enable you to connect with nature like never before. Stroll along the five miles of well-maintained hiking paths through the area and pause for a moment on the viewing platform to gaze at the bison. There are also a number of water activities offered at the center that you can book for an additional cost.
- 8500 Bay Area Blvd., Pasadena, TX 77507
- Open Wednesday- Saturday from 9 am- 5 pm and Sunday from 12- 5 pm. Closed Monday and Tuesday.
- Adults are $6, Kids are $4, Kids younger than 4 are free.
- (281) 474-2551
10. Kemah Boardwalk
Just 20 miles from Houston you will find Kemah Boardwalk, a fun destination for families to gather and enjoy time together. From charming boutiques to seaside restaurants and daring rides to unique shows, Kemah Boardwalk has something for everybody. You and your kids will enjoy your time spent hanging out on the boardwalk!
- 215 Kipp Ave., Kemah, TX 77565
- Hours vary seasonally. Check the website for up-to-date information.
- Ride tickets start at $25.99 for guests over 48” and $19.99 for guests under 48”.
- 877-AT-KEMAH ( 877-285-3624)
Wrapping Up the Top 10 Things To Do In Houston, TX
Houston, TX is a great family-friendly destination for year-round adventures with your loved ones.
Whether you want high-flying fun with fast-paced rides or a mellow afternoon spent soaking up Mother Nature, in Houston you can do it all.
Because the weather stays warmer in Houston all year than in other parts of the country, you can usually enjoy outside activities frequently in south Texas without having to bundle up too much.
If you live in the area and want to keep your yard and grass looking green year-round, consider artificial grass.
- The Top 10 Best Golf Courses to Tee Off at in OKC
- The Top 10 Backyard Putting Green Benefits for Homeowners: Why Install an Artificial Turf Golf Green?
- The Top 10 Best Golf Courses to Tee Off at in & Around San Antonio, TX
- Pet Turf Cost: How Much Does Artificial Grass for Dogs Cost to Install?
- Pet Turf Benefits: Why Install Pet-Friendly Artificial Grass at Your Texas Home or Business?